Blogging is so fin, I'd rather go bust a Moby...


Translation: Blogging is so bad/undesirable, I'd rather go dance...

To give you a taste of this post, I thought I'd throw some Hipster slang into the title. An alternative subculture, the Hipster derives it's name from the word hip or hep, and hip is what it's all about. The Hipster Handbook gives us an excellent definition "Hipster - One who possesses tastes, social attitudes, and opinions deemed cool by the cool. (Note: it is no longer recommended that one use the term "cool"; a Hipster would instead say "deck.") The Hipster walks among the masses in daily life but is not a part of them and shuns or reduces to kitsch anything held dear by the mainstream. A Hipster ideally possesses no more than 2% body fat."
You know you've seen them. They are (according to themselves) impossibly cool, so cool that they no longer use that word. The girls are almost exclusively dressed in American Apparel and that guys own the same jeans that I do! I've noticed the Hipster is far more prevalent in Ottawa, than in my home-base Vancouver, but this could be attributed to the fact that my main environment is now a university campus.
The thing that defines this subculture is the interest of all things "deck." Unlike many other identities, this group doesn't have a unifying political or social cause. They base their identities on what they like, not who they are or what they believe. Which, when you think about it, seems to ring true for most Canadians. It's all about being cool, just don't confuse them with scenesters...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Every time I blink, there's another underweight male, sipping pabst blue ribbon, wearing skin tight pantaloons, and hanging out in the local value village.

Maybe it's the fact that I'm 59 years old, but the world appears to be making the slow transition into hell.

Popular Jane said...

You're probably wearing really tight pants right now...